It’s official – we’re 1/12th of the way through 2016 already. Did you blink and miss January?
See some of your New Year’s resolutions fall to the wayside? (That daily 6am workout hasn’t stuck yet?)
You’re not the only one.
January 1 hits like a ton of bricks – after an indulgent, busy holiday season we’re inspired to make healthy changes – to eat better, to work out more, to get healthier, to commit to that 3x a week spin class.
But we also tend to get a bit overzealous – all of the healthy things. All at once. Without taking a step back to realize it’s a lot – and it’s a lot of new things to take on and expect 31 days to just fall into place.
So if January didn’t go exactly the way you imagined, don’t sweat it. Here are 5 ways to keep your resolutions strong through February – and beyond.
- Enlist your squad – Working out with a friend or friends motivates us, holds us accountable, and we’re much less likely to cancel that early morning sweat session if we know others are counting on us to show up. #socialsweat – it’s a thing. Haven’t found your “thing” yet? Got you covered. Check out all of the Studio and Original classes offered via MoveWith happening this week in San Francisco and Boston.
- Make February the new January – So maybe the “I’ll be in a headstand by January 31” declaration didn’t exactly work out. (Don’t sweat it – yoga is a “practice” – you’ll get there). Today’s your chance to start over. Assess what worked in January for you and what didn’t. What’s realistic to continue and what’s not.
- Change up your venue – Hitting the yoga studio or the treadmill just not doing it for you anymore? Mix things up – have you ever done Nightclub Yoga? Or gotten your cardio in with a group of fellow enthusiasts barefoot on a beach? Hello inspiration!
- Add to your life, don’t take things away – Rather than banishing sugar forever, add in more fruits and vegetables. Want to become a runner? Don’t eliminate that power walk with a friend, add in 5 or 10-minute long jog/run bursts to work up to where you want to be.
- Try something new – Rally your friends together, join in on a class you’ve never taken but always wanted to, and just go for it! Sweating with community, sharing that “what the heck did we just sign up for?” knowing look, and doing something you’ve never done takes the intimidation factor out of it. You just might find your new favorite thing. Yoga, Beats and Bootcamp anyone?
Just don’t forget the non-negotiable: that post-workout brunch.
Here’s to another month of sweating!
Snap some pictures? Tag them with #movewith and #socialsweat – we love to see them!